Tips to Stay Independent

Maintain Your Independence…

At AJ Community Care we promote independence, it is important to us that our clients are able to lead their life as independently as possible and be an active participant in their community. Below are a few tips to help you maintain your independence.

Accept Support

If tasks such as shopping, cooking and cleaning or personal care such as washing and dressing are becoming a struggle, one of our Community Care Support Workers can support you in a confidential non intrusive manner. It could just be for half an hour a week, several hours a day, even up to 24-hour live-in care.

Searching for the Right Care Provider

This can seem like a daunting task but it doesn’t have to be. CQC regulate the standards of care provided and rate services accordingly helping you to choose a quality care provider. AJ Community Care are a 3 star excellent rated provider.

Claim Your Benefits

Many people have trouble making ends meet, which can lead to individuals struggling to cope. There are many benefits available to help, please visit for more help.

Check Your Health Regularly

It may sound obvious, but keeping as healthy as possible will help you to stay in your own home. Contact your GP to ask for a check-up and get advice on any health conditions you have or perhaps arrange to see a chiropodist, district nurse, health visitor or physiotherapist.

Keep Warm in Winter

The cold is responsible for the deaths of about 25,000 older people each year. Installing loft or cavity wall insulation – which is often free to homeowners aged over 70 – can make a big difference, not only to the warmth of your house, but also to heating bills.

Get a Community Alarm

If you feel vulnerable, and especially if you live on your own, consider having a community alarm. This allows you to call for help 24 hours a day if you have an accident or are unwell.

A Community Alarm is an electrical device that usually has a push button which can be used to notify your care provider that you require assistance.

Ask Your Local Authority About Making Adaptations to Your Home

Your local authority or NHS may provide equipment and adaptations, such as grab rails, toilet and bath seats or stair lifts. Your local authority will send out someone – often an occupational therapist – to assess your needs and advise on the best equipment for your needs. You can also do it yourself: There are an increasing number of retailers now who produce ranges of products specifically for making life easier for people who need support around the home.

Funding Your Care

Most people who genuinely require support are entitled to direct payments which are provided by most local authorities. You can have a financial assessment which looks at all you’re incoming and outgoing expenses and will determine if you are eligible or have to make a contribution. We can guide you through this process and give you any information you may need, just give us a call on 03305 552277.


Got something to say?